- "Lydian Houses and Architectural Terracottas". Archaeological Exploration of Sardis Monograph 5 (Cambridge, 1978).
- "Twenty Five Years of Discovery at Sardis" (Cambridge, 1983), written with Nancy H. Ramage to accompany a travelling exhibit funded by the N.E.H. (Turkish Translation 1986).
- "Emblems of Authority: Greek and Roman Coins from Two Alumni Collections", (Exhibition catalogue and essay) Ithaca, NY 1994.
- "Roman Art: Romulus to Constantine", with Nancy H. Ramage, 1991, Prentice Hall (USA) and Cambridge University Press (UK)
- "The Cambridge Illustrated History of Roman Art". 2nd ed., Prentice Hall (USA) and Laurence King (UK), 1995. (Translated into German, French, Dutch, Modern Greek, Chinese and Korean) 4th ed. 2004.
- "King Croesus' Gold", with Paul T. Craddock, Archaeological Exploration of Sardis, Monograph 11, 2000.
- "Guide to the Classical Collections at Cornell" with N. H. Ramage and P.I. Kuniholm, Herbert F. Johnson Museum, Cornell University, 2002.